Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Lies

I learnt to say them when I was a kid. When I was 5 yrs old, helping mom put the vegetables she had bought in the fridge....and when i ate one tomato....and mom asked, "what did you do? " And I replied back with my "oh-so-innocent eyes" and tomato juice dribbling down my mouth " Nothing Mummy".

I lied through school. I lied to teachers to save my skin at times.....lied to my parents when I went out onto the road for the first time with my cycle instead of remaining in the compound. That way, I learnt cycling. And I became very very good at it.

I used to be too full in Std 1. Couldn't complete my tiffin......so used to throw out mah rice! And tell mom, I ate. Obviously, someone's mom told my mom and I was caught out. Spanked. Never did it again. Throwing out the rice.......that is!

Std 2. I fell in love with a girl. Told m bench partner about it. She asks me " You are going to fall in love with Shweta no ? " (WE were in Std 2. Didnt know tenses / grammer too well). And I say " No. Am already in love with her". So bench mate tells Shweta, Shweta tells Mrs. Panjwani " Miss that boy loves me" and Mrs. P makes me stand up and says " You come to school to learn or fall in love ? " Being a conscientious student, this made me say " To study , Miss" If I had lied....izzat bachti.

Std 4. Std. 5. Std 6. All through school.........and at home, petty things were lied for and about. Everyone does it. I know.

Std 11. I got hitched. Lied to mommy and pops....she's just a good friend. Lied to classmates....arre, I have some work. But I never lied to her !

Std 12. I lied to myself. Said that this r'ship is more important than my IIT studies. Studies happen...always.

Good lie : it taught me a lot about etiquette...being polished, courteous....the finer nuances neccesary.

FY Mech Engg : Lied to college friends.......am goin home........while I obviously went out to meet her and be with her.

SY Mech Engg: Lied to college friends......fewer in number now: am going out. Well, it was a half truth.

Then in the latter half of SY Mech, I realize I was being lied to. That hurt. I tried to not lie from then on. Didnt happen.

Then as the year progressed, lies upon lies were being heaped upon me. I realized what it means to be lied to. I stopped. I made efforts to be honest.

Final Year Mech Engg: I was completely honest. Honest with my friends, my profs. So my friends complemented me for my honesty......and I got a kick on mah ass. My prof acted weird, made me pay the price for being honest in telling him that I will be 5 minutes late in meeting you sir. He made me run around like crazy for months for what he was going to do. I get honest with people these days with my feelings or expectations. I've heard stuff about me from them...that's not very pleasant. People play Chinese Whispers.

So lies serve me well, at the others' cost. Truth gives me instantaneous exalted status, but screws me later on. What to do ? Lie and hurt others? Be selfish ? Or keep gettin jacked yourself?

I began at 5. I learnt at 21. This is what they call politics.

love,

whodunthistruenfalse?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As u so clearly stated, lying for the right reasons, becomes necessary sometimes.If only some people would see the reasons behind it, it would stop hurting so bad.

Anonymous said...

damn!!!!

Anonymous said...

agreed lying is bad.. tellin all d truth is equally bad.. :)
life is a 2 b played like a game.. sometimes uve 2 lie.. sometimes uve 2 tell d truth.. balancing this very tactfully is essential.. lying is bad when it becomes a daily habit.. but if it is to ur benefit then it can be forgiven for.. lying isnt essentialy bad by itself.. it hits hard depending on d person in front of you.. u neednt tell d truth to every1.. it hits in d long run.. but u neednt essentially lie 2 them.. but remem 2 tell d truth as long as yu kno it aint gonna hurt yu 2 d person concerned.. :)
u learnt this at 21.. i learnt it at 12.. :)
take care

Cookie said...

from ur blog i figure out quite an intimate detail.. & i think u've achieved ur purpose of a public private diary.. u think we're lyin' to ourselves when we say we wanna keep our lives private??

whodunit said...

cookie: no we aren't lying!! you have an idea about it....so that's public. But I know what exactly happened.........thats private :)

Anonymous said...

looks like u made this blog for a reason... hmmm.. not just to "pen ure thoughts"

whodunit said...

yep! there is a reason....i'd like to share what i feel....or think! Someplace wer I can express myself....uninterrupted!